In an online world where “glowing up” often is linked with physical transformations and external validations, it’s essential to redefine what it truly means to grow and blossom in life. Glowing up isn’t just about changing your appearance or reaching societal standards of beauty; it’s about embracing yourself and evolving into that person that you truly are.
The term “glow up” has gained so much popularity in recent years, especially on social media where images of drastic transformations often pop up with the first search. While there’s nothing wrong with wanting to look and feel your best, I often see young people fixating solely on external changes without addressing internal growth and well-being.
While external changes can certainly enhance our confidence and self-esteem temporarily, they rarely provide lasting fulfillment or happiness. And ultimately that’s what we truly want right? To feel happy and fulfilled in our lives.
How To glow up responsibly and sustainably
Without addressing underlying issues such as low self-esteem and insecurities, the glow up becomes superficial and short-lived. A lot of us have these bursts of motivation followed by periods of burnout or self doubt, leading to that familiar cycle of binge behaviors and self criticism. However, by adopting a responsibly mindset when glowing up, aka not only focusing on the external changes we want to make, you can ensure that your glow up is not only sustainable but will also really help you grow in life and empower you to be your true self.
So to avoid having a superficial toxic glow up, avoid the following things: unhealthy habits, fixating on external changes, comparing yourself to others, perfectionism and avoiding any difficult emotions. Always be kind to yourself, you are worthy now, as you are, not just when you “glow up”.
5 Key Principles To Keep In Mind When Glowing Up
So, how do we glow up without getting stuck in toxic behaviors or unrealistic expectations? It starts with a shift in your mindset – recognize that you are already beautiful as you are and start prioritizing self-love and self-care above all else.
So if one of your glow up goals is “getting clear, glow skin”, recognize that your skin is already gorgeous! And it deserves to get taking care of no matter what it looks like. Invest in some high quality skin care products and add “taking care of your skin” to your daily routine. <3 It may take some time to figure out what works best, but in time and with consistency your skin will be glowing!
Now here are a few key principles that you should keep in mind when working towards your glow up.
- Focus on Inner Growth. While it’s okay to improve your physical appearance, real transformation starts from within. Nurture your passions and work on personal development. Whether it’s through practicing mindfulness, setting goals, or exploring new interests, invest in the things that make you feel good and your inner well-being will radiate outward.
- Practice Self-Love. Embrace everything that you are! “flaws” and “imperfections” are a part of what makes you unique. And most of the time, the things we think are flaws, are what others find so beautiful about us. Learn to appreciate and celebrate your individuality. Practice self love by being kind, compassionate and respecting yourself.
- Set Healthy Boundaries. In the age of social media, it’s easy to fall into the trap of comparison and validation-seeking behavior. Remember that everyone’s journey is different, and what works for other might not necessarily work for you. Learn to set boundaries around your time, energy and relationships, and prioritize activities that make you happy.
- Nourish Your Body and Mind. Sustainable, true glow ups come from taking care of yourself from the inside out. Nothing is better than glowing from within! Eat nutritious foods, stay hydrated, get plenty of rest, move your body regularly and don’t restrict yourself too much. Start seeing food as fuel. An empty body doesn’t have energy to think, do or enjoy life.
- Practice Gratitude. Gratitude is a powerful tool for being happy in life. Take the time daily to reflect on the things you’re grateful for, whether it’s your health, relationships, your pets, your house, or anything else! An attitude of gratitude can help shift your perspective and make you feel incredibly happy and fulfilled.
Glowing up is about feeling good and being happy with your life, but it’s essential to do so in a responsible and sustainable way. By prioritizing these key principles, you can safely go on your journey towards true transformation. Remember, the most beautiful glow comes from embracing who you are and radiating that light into the world. <3